Friends of Rogers Environmental Education Center (FOR) is a not-for-profit corporation composed of dedicated supporters of Rogers Environmental Education Center. This group consists of four officers, and up to fifteen additional directors, all of whom serve without compensation. FOR directors provide valuable input, grass roots support, and help to promote Rogers Center programs.
Friends of Rogers will promote educational opportunities, foster partnerships, provide leadership, and contribute practical solutions to advance environmental education, stewardship, and programming which would include informational workshops and outdoor recreational activities offered through the Rogers Environmental Education Center.
Through exceptional teamwork, dedication, and commitment, Friends of Rogers strives to:
- enhance environmental education through programming such as:
- professional development and training workshops
- outdoor classroom activities (i.e. owl watch, fall foliage, interpretive nature walks of all sorts, mushrooms, etc.)
- evening lectures (i.e. Colgate/Morrisville faculty, local professionals, etc.)
- will oversee, promote, and help organize successful annual events such as WLC, Earth Fest (1st weekend in May), and Animals of Halloween
- keep the Rogers Center facilities and trail systems open and welcoming to visitors
- establish visitor center and gift shop open hours
- offer outdoor recreation programming (i.e. snowshoeing, hiking, kayaking, birdwatching)
- work with NYS DEC staff, area businesses, community leaders, government officials, and our neighbors to find workable and creative solutions to restore the Rogers Center to a fully staffed, fully operating environmental education center.
- keep the general public and key stakeholders fully informed and engaged with the educational programming, events, outdoor recreational opportunities, and discussions and advocacy efforts of Friends of Rogers to restore the Rogers Center to a fully staffed, fully operational facility.
Board of Directors
President – Sharon Pelosi
Vice President – Adam Schoonmaker, Ph.D
Secretary – Carol Smith
Treasurer – Sue Reymers
Paul Buckingham, Ph.D.
Janet Laura Myers
Fred von Mechow
Executive Director – Simon Solomon
Environmental Educator – Amy Kochem
Naturalist Intern – Sarah Freedman
Naturalist Intern – Sarah O’Shea